8. September 2010 08:00
I finally have enough yarn spun to make the hat... I think! Things have been crazy around our house the last few weeks with a friend's wedding, and a few unforeseen events ("Earl" and some impromptu home renos) and I was feeling like I really wasn't making enough progress on my commissioned projects.
<-- this is my latest skein... 50/50 Alaskan Malamute / Merino - approximately 125 yds somewhere between Sport and Worsted weight traditional 3-ply.
Samiah's owner and I had decided a few weeks ago on a slightly lacy texture for our hat/mitts/cowl set - using a common diagonal lace pattern as the cornerstone. I found a few patterns that fit the description, but I will have to adapt them all in some way I think to make it all come together. The cowl and hat are fairly straightforward, but I think the mittens will require the most tweaking of the bunch.
Either way, it feels good to be making a little progress. After the skein was washed and hung to dry, I got my workstation ready: Subject measurements, measuring tape, various sized needles, pattern examples, chocolate bar... and when the yarn was dry and skeined, I set out on the hat.
More hat pictures later in the week :) I've finished the cuff, and I'm already about 3 inches up into the main body of the hat!