5. April 2009 17:52
So I finished my singles... plied and Voila!
I think my extra twist paid off, because the resulting yarn plied quite nicely... giving more tightly wound yarn than I would normally get. Which of course is exactly what you want with sock yarn in the first place. Also, the long staples of the corriedale gave a nice smooth single, combined with the extra twist, resulting in a smooth strong strand.
The original roving had very distinct locations of colour, so I was surprised at how much the colours muddied here. I suppose since it was 3-plied, the colours were able to spread out... giving longer gradations of shades, as opposed to discrete sections of colour. I will remember this as I continue dying roving to spin... adjacent colours tend to mix into each other. For example, Yellow next to blue gives some greenish tones. Note to self, Purple next to Yellow gives brownish greenish mud. While the resulting muted tones aren't completely undesirable, I found the beige-ey light brownish areas kindof boring. It would have been nice to keep the pretty purples and yellows distinct more.
Overall, very pleased with the way this yarn turned out. Now I just need to finish a few of the current sock marathons so I can start a new one :)
Either that... or I need to go and get another couple sets of DPNs... hmmm sounds tempting