11. July 2015 09:10
The Tour de Fleece is ONNNNN!
For those of you who aren't familiar - The Tour de France is a famous bicycle race that runs over the better part of a month, takes place in France... and the Tour de FLEECE is a spinning event that coincides! On the days the Tour rides - the spinners spin, and encourage each other, and tease each other, and compete on Ravelry for Prizes if they accomplish their goals!
My own Tour goal is a very simple one - to just pick up my spinning every day. My life is so full of mommy/work/wifey responsibilities that planning to spin a specific weight of wool, or a specific number of yards, or anything concrete was probably a bad idea. I was afraid that if I put words to it, that I'd end up jinxing it.
So here we are - The Tour began on July 4/15 and I have managed to at least touch my spinning every day this week! Here is what I'm working on:
Inglenook Batts! The color is "Purple Heartwood" and it's a mix of wool, alpaca, silk, sparkle, and bamboo (I think... my tag is at home)
My first impression of Inglenook Fibers is just Wow. So soft and sparkly and shiny. And it's purple. So Win win win. And then when I tore into the batt to strip it into spinnable chunks... well Look at all of those colors! So fun and cheery!
I decided on stripping the batt into 4 x 1 oz chunks, and then further subdividing each ounce into 8 pieces. The plan is to spin it all on supported spindles, likely putting one ounce on each spindle and then pairing them up to make 2 skeins of two ply.
Here is my Bristlecone Ladybug "Gaston"... doing it's thing!
I usually like to work with laceweight or finer, but I didn't really fuss too much about the grist and diameter of the thread. I just went with whatever the fiber wanted. There are some thin bits and some chunky bits. Some of the single is pretty uniform in color, some sections are mostly one color or another, and other sections still are all barberpoled and stripey. I'm thinking the finished yarn will be both visually and texturally unique. I'm not sure what kind of pattern I can find that will work... but no doubt something will turn up. I'm thinking even something with a central garter stitch panel (either crescent or half-square or something) to show off the variety and texture without obscuring the stitch pattern.
And finally... here is the first two ounces basically finished. I'm hoping to finish the last poof of fiber on my break today (since I'm working all weekend) and then make a plying ball! The dark spindle is a Spanish Peacock Russian Set in Macassar Ebony... smooth and fast!