5. June 2009 15:52
It's been a busy week... Wedding things, work things, house selling things... clearly not enough time to knit or spin! sheesh!
Since I did accomplish a ton of things yesterday amidst my running around like a crazy person, this afternoon I decided to take a break and veg out. Time just for me! So I poured a great big glass of water, put on a movie (the kind that isn't too boring, but also doesn't matter so much if you don't pay too close of attention) and had a couch afternoon.
I decided I would start playing with the Delightfully soft Shetland that arrived in the mail earlier in the week. I couldn't keep my hands out of the box anyways, it was just a matter of time. Jen had wrapped the batts in tissue paper, so they didn't get squished or flattened - stayed lofty and airy! If you want some for yourself... Check out Whispering Pines Farm here
The colour of this stuff is amazing! Coal black with some silvery streaks through it, and as soft as soft can be.
The carefully wrapped batts roll apart and draft like a dream! The plan for this yarn is to make a special pair of wool mittens for the father who has everything else. I figure even if someone else gives him mittens, they wont be handspun and knit by me, so it will still be a decent gift! I had planned on making an angora lining for these, but I think perhaps they won't need it, since the shetland itself is sooo soft in the first place.
Normally, I just spin, and come up with a project later on for the resulting yarn. This time I knew I wanted something between DK/Sport Weight and Worsted. This is quite a change from spinning mostly sock and lace yarns... I was having a tough time deciding how thick the singles should be. So I decided to set up a card with some samples of ready-made yarn taken apart into singles
The Beige is from a taken apart 4 ply Worsted Acrylic (Red Heart I think... this ball lost it's band some time ago) and the pink is a single ply taken from a 3 ply Aran Weight yarn. My goal is to approximate somewhere around the size of these, and then navajo-3 ply (mostly because it is fast and less waste)
I am also trying to reduce the amount of twist I am putting into this yarn. It's for Mittens! not socks! so the yarn can be more airy and squishy. The hard-wearing-ness is not as important here. I am interested to see how close I came to the desired weight... but am trying to wait until after all 3 skeins are finished and the twist set before measuring WPI. In the end, what will be will be, and I'll just end up adjusting needle size and stitch patterns until it "feels" right anyways. I also have to remember to measure dad's hand some day discretely, so I can tailor them to fit him exactly.
Here it is again stripped into roving-like ropes... so I can spin more evenly.
More to come on this and the Mitten-Knitting Process!